View Single Post
Unread 08-28-20, 09:37 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartrm View Post
I use an iPad Mini and I've got it in a Ram suction mount on the windshield right above the storm window. Works great for me so far. Only complaint is the cigarette lighter is over on the copilot's side, so I've got to run a cord across the cockpit if I want to plug in to ship's power.

One of the many little things I'm plugging away at on the new bird.
I believe the window set-up is a little different on the P-models. I couldn't seem to find a good spot for my suction mount, but I was also using a 10" tablet. An Ipad Mini may have fit.

I've been an Android/Avare user for years, but I'm considering buying a Mini and a Foreflight subscription, mainly for the icing level visible forecast products, and the additional ADS-B weather it displays in flight, such as lightning strikes. Avare only displays NEXRAD as an overlay. When FIS-B was updated in 2018 to include several new weather products, Avare never integrated them. Foreflight did, as you would expect a paid option to do.

I would buy Garmin Pilot, as it has very similar features to Foreflight, but BY DESIGN Garmin Pilot won't talk to my Stratux ADS-B in box. They want me to buy their $1100 product, when Stratux does the exact same job for $200, and plays nicely with Foreflight. Your proprietary ways are eventually going to kill you, Garmin - You will go the way of the Betamax if you continue to build products that require expensive, proprietary solutions.

Last edited by mshac : 08-28-20 at 09:43 AM.