View Single Post
Unread 04-04-05, 10:35 AM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
OK. I think I understand what you are saying now about the intercooler causing increased exhaust backpressure which offsets the HP gained by lower intake air temp.

On the next subject: Actually, I was talking about engines (the stock TSIO360) that do not have intercoolers. At sea level, the ambient pressure is about 30 in hg, and the required boost from the turbocharger is about 9 in hg, to generate full power. The turbocharger will heat the air about 62 F at this boost level.

In comparison, at full power and 15,000 feet (for example), the ambient pressure is about 14.6 in hg, and the required turbocharger boost is about 24.4 in hg. At this boost level, the temp. rise across the turbocharger will be around 232 F. This is partially offset by the 54 F cooler ambient air at that altitude (assuming normal lapse rate). However, this still means that the air admitted to the cylinders will be 115 F hotter than it would be at sea level and the same power setting. This will contribute to higher CHT's won't it?