View Single Post
Unread 12-04-21, 11:10 PM

CRDedrickson is on a distinguished road
Stec-55x

Last year I also checked into the Skymaster Autopilot options and got the same answers as are indicated today. Although I had a working Bendix King 810 system, it was old and quirky and didn’t have some of the features available today that I now consider essential. Those include fully coupled approaches, altitude select, GPS steering, alerts, etc. (I use Aspen as the interface).

I would have rather had a newer digital design like the Garmin, but now would rather have the Avidyne DFC90. I think Garmin makes a great product, but for GA pilots, I feel like the Company is Defective. They do a real job of planned obsolescence and including exit barriers in their products. Avidyne seems much more open to forward compatibility and sensible support.

The DFC90 is not available for Skymaster planes currently, but if it became available installation would be similar to the IFD series approach to plug-and-play into a Garmin 530 or 430 tray.

All of our flying hours are valuable, especially us guys now over 60. So, I’m glad to have the STEC in place and the DFC as a wish list item. I would be reluctant to swap out the 55X now, as it has been so well-integrated with the other systems.

My humble opinion…