View Single Post
Unread 11-21-21, 11:06 AM

TomM is on a distinguished road
choices

For you folks with an existing Stec, that is great and I know it is a great autopilot. For us with the old 400 (or nothing) and models before the 337D, the only choice we have for a fully coupled auto pilot is the Stec 65. Not sure if you have priced one of those out lately, but they are $38,000 plus installation.

I have talked to Stec a number of times and there is little hope, if any that the older model skymaster would ever be added to the STC list for the other autopilots such at the 60-2 or 3100. The guy couldn't tell me the difference between the older models and the D and newer. It would seem to be a simple procedure to get the older models on the list, but there must be something unique about the older ones (and the FAA) that just doesnt make that a reality.

Best I can do for a reasonable sum would be the Stec 50 ($13k plus installation) and settle for altitude hold. Which is what I planed on doing unless the Garmin option comes through. Being fully coupled would be a bonus along with the lower cost.

For me the Garmin would be the only realistic option for a fully coupled autopilot period.