View Single Post
Unread 06-16-03, 08:18 AM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
I would think the sensitivity might be over rated as the FAA signs the form anyway and I can tell you they do know what is going on. The owner also has the legal obligation to make sure a copy is then filed as well. BTW when I mentioned a certain avionics upgrade to the FAA locally, it was the inspector who jumped in with the fact it was only STC’d on only two types and every other install would require a Field Approval.

On paperwork, I figure that getting the paperwork straight up front is better than getting caught on something later. My experience has been that the FAA inspectors are doing a tough job with limited resources, but they are always pretty reasonable unless you are "being bad". If the paperwork is not right, should you not get it fixed?

There are only three ways to get mod’s done legally and we all want to be legal I would assume: 1) add to the original TC 2) by way of an STC or 3) Field Approval. As the AOPA article suggested, Field Approvals will become more the way of the future, which is why I figure, if we pooled our experience we could all win.

I’m pretty relaxed as to how we start to record this on the board, but with a DER costing say $700 to $1000 for the paperwork and approval of a Garmin installation, there is much “beer budget” to be otherwise allocated. And don’t expect the supplier to necessarily go the STC route as that has become more expensive and difficult.

Kevin, I could see perhaps you moderating that section of the board making the postings one way and removing incriminating details, but I am not sure you need the extra work load. On the other hand, if there is the suggested sensitivity, maybe that or a similar approach is required.

Regards - Dave