View Single Post
Unread 12-06-16, 12:10 PM

B2C2 is on a distinguished road
rear cowl flap motor issue

Hi. I have looked through the forum and understand this is a known failure mode for this airplane. On my 1969 T337D I was preparing to leave Carlsbad on Sunday but when I hit the switch to open the rear cowl flaps I didn't hear the motor running. Sure enough the flaps were not opening. I tried puling and resetting the breaker, and looked for any loose wires on the switch in the panel (the motor was inaccessible due to closed rear cowl flaps making it not possible to get the panels off). After about 20 minutes of messing around with no apparent effect, suddenly it decided to work. I flew it home and exercised the motor once I was back on the ground in Livermore where I am based. It is now running. I did hear a slight hitch in it on one cycle but it seems to be running without issue. My question is for those of you who have had this fail, does it fail hard or is it intermittent? I am wondering if I may have a loose connection somewhere and this is causing the problem and not the motor. There is also a reference to cleaning of the motor assembly in the forum, which I may have my mechanic do if it looks like the motor is the issue. the motor is now about $7800 from Cessna, and about $6K on line from others so i'd like to understand where I may be having an issue and not just swap it out.