View Single Post
Unread 01-22-20, 03:02 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
When I was deciding the ADS-B Out solution for my C337G, I specifically emailed uAvionix with a photo of my tail arrangement of my SkyMaster and the view of the transponder antenna and their response was it would work just fine with TailBeacon. The TailBeacon was not available yet but I was waiting for it.

I then asked uAvionix if I could install a SkyBeacon inside the plastic housing of the wingtip as shown in my photos above. As you can see, this is what I elected to do which uAvionix told me would work fine too. They were correct. I have had no issues in 65 hours of flying with it. I did apply the offset through the SkyBeacon AP. Super easy to do. I would assume there is a similar offset with the TailBeacon AP but I cannot speak from experience on this.

It was slightly more labor going the wing tip route but TailBeacon was not out yet at the time and my plane was down for maintenance so I was eager. In the end, to do it over, I would stay with the wing tip option for a few reasons that benefited me but may not you.

Having the unit protected behind plastic seemed a plus but certainly not a requirement. It seemed to offer a a tiny bit of security in that effort to be stolon would be greater though this really isn't of serious concern as without passwords, these unit seemly are useless to anyone up to no good. The largest advantage to me was the option to utilize the strobe light in the future should it become necessary or convenient. My strobe lights are independent however the system is old and I have hunted for parts replacement in the past to keep the system up and running. The uAvionix strobe light would be a convenient alternative if a future need is to arise.

I suggest you email uAvionix yourself to confirm TailBeacon is an option for C337. They were always quick to respond to my questions.

Good Luck. I'm quite certain you will be satisfied.