View Single Post
Unread 03-12-19, 01:41 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi Ernie, and yes I did consider the GDL 82 and others. Just my opinion, the SkyBeacon seemed easiest to install but even more importantly it did not require one second of anyone crawling around the airplane or behind the panel. I'm all for that as you can't have a MIF (maintenance induced failure) if no one is touching anything. I love my shop and mechanics. They have done well for me over the years but I prefer to not create opportunities for them to put their hands "IN" my airplane. Just my opinion. I'm certainly no expert.

For what is worth, I installed the Stratus 1090 ESG OUT/IN transponder in my other airplane several years ago. I've since sold that airplane. That airplane had a really crappy transponder so it made more sense to so that. It was WAY more expensive than the SkyBeacon. Hopefully u-Avionix is around for the long haul and hopefully their device stands the test of time. I decided to take the gamble. We'll see, time will tell.

Ed

P.S.

BTW Ernie, Glad to see you're back. I always enjoy your posts and I haven't seen you around much lately. Hope your G model is treating you well. I still love mine!