View Single Post
Unread 12-19-03, 09:36 AM
Peyton

Peyton is an unknown quantity at this point
Guys - I installed VG's two weeks and about 8 hours of airtime ago on my '67 model. Stall speeds decreased 4 to 7 mph depending on configuration. It hangs on forever before a full break, drops left wing and nose in the break, and recovers quickly (200 ft or less) with reduced back pressure and uphill rudder. I can see no appreciable impact on cruise speeds. Rate of climb has definitely improved at least 10 to 20 % !! Slow speed handling has improved dramatically with considerably less control effort required.

During the test flight I worked to quantify the above numbers to see if I really made the right decision to install these VG's and my answer was yes. More important in the "smiles" department is the change in overall handling of the airplane which I have owned since 1978. It now feels and flys very differently...much quicker and smoother in response. I told a friend that it was like installing power steering and air shocks on an old truck! My only negative is that I am having to learn not to overcontrol the aircraft in IMC now that less control input is needed!

I haven't seen ice yet and the limited time in service gives no good history to respond to your fueling or other type damage concerns. So far none have come off since installed. There is a spares kit which should stay in the airplane...the STC requires that no more than 5 be missing.

I did the installation with the help and sign off of my mechanic. Start to finish required 16 hours including set up and clean up in my hangar and could be done in a couple of hours less next time around....just a lot of tedious work to get the airplane prepped and them glued on properly. Otherwise a well designed and complete package from Micro-Aero which was simple to install.

Hope this helps in your decision process....try it you'll like it.

Happy Holidays