View Single Post
Unread 04-09-18, 10:41 AM

Timcote1960 is on a distinguished road
Training complete, report of the saga

Greetings all.

Okay, now I have not only bought my P337G N639GC but after about 4 months of delays and persistence, can now legally fly it. I settled December 27 and yesterday had my first solo as a multiengine, centerline thrust limitation pilot. It has been an saga of persistence and aggravation.

Dec 27----Settled on the bird.

January---Finding an insurance company that would insure me, a 182 driver with 400hrs without MEL was a major pain. John Travers, insurance broker, brought me an underwriter who was unwilling to go with any CFII I found and required a "school". They offered a list of 6 accpetable schools. I called them all and 4 of them actually wouldn't do 337 training. One that would was National Flight Simulator in Manchester NH. I was born and grew up there so thought it a fitting place to go. It was the beginning of an excellent relationship and I can highly recommend Steve Cunningham, the head of the school, for your insurance-mandated training needs. Steve stuck with me through the pain that neither of us anticipated.

Unfortunately, they had only one CFII, Eric, and he's superb and funny and friendly BUT a corporate pilot with a lifestyle I would hate---when they call, he's gotta go. By extension, my life became scheduling hell. First step was moving the plane. I had to fly him from manchester to baltimore to reposition my bird.

Early February: Unfortunately, the first time he came down one of the mags pooped out. Mission aborted, I had to send him back commercial again.

Late February: Mag fixed, Eric successfully repositions the plane to Manchester. Wretched weather delays---NH isn't the best place in the world to fly airplanes

Early March: More weather delays. Then I go up to Manchester. Eric is called away and I do sim time. The "big day" comes, Eric swoops in and I try to train and test in the same day. I bust the ride on single engine proceedures.

Late March: Despite having had a pre-buy inspection and an annual inspection just before settlement, there are some major issues with mechanical. A massive fuel leak in the #3 rear cylinder. A hole in the exaust that needed to be sent out for welding repair. Alternator replacement required. Ugh! $7K in bills.

Early April: More weather delays. Insurance company threatens to withdraw binder.

Last weekend: Return to Manchester commercial. Train with Eric, test with DPE, not my finest hour of flying. Airsick as hell from nerves and bumpy air; not a great situation. Still issues with engine out procedures but following a miscommunication I'm granted a re-do and pass the damn ride. Whew! Flew home to DC Sunday at a brisk pace, not really knowing what to do with all these new gizmos like the EDM engine montitor for leaning and a bit uncertain of how to run a coupled approach with this cool AP. But I was safe, tested out the pressurization at 10K' and am happy happy happy.

Lessons learned:

1. It always takes longer and costs more than we think.

2. Tenacity is rewarded with victory.

3. If you're in need of a school for insurance or FAA certification matters, having good people matters. LOTS. Finding a school that will do what you need for a 337 isn't easy. And I was more than a little annoyed at the scant CFII resources available in Manchester, NH. Now I understand that more CFIIs with 337 time are coming to Steve, so that problem may be fixed. Steve (the school owner) was a gem with scheduling---he is spread pretty thin and has a recent awful tragedy in his life (lost a child to illness last year) but always remained responsive and professional and advocated for getting this done. You need somebody like that working with and for you.

I have joined your ranks. Another 10-12hrs of flying and my insurance company will let me take passengers. Flying with my wife is why I fly. This week I fly the 337 solo to FL for my mother's birthday. And then, as Eric recommened "fly the snot out of her"!

Tim Cote
Norm Asp 337G N122WB