View Single Post
Unread 01-22-14, 09:38 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
I have always been worried about that door on my 337G. I could imagine a scenario where much damage occurs after the door departs and starts destroying everything in its path. I think the older style doors on the pre-1973 models are superior.

A few years ago I had my shop completely disassemble the door latching system. I still wasn't satisfied. My IA installed a small locking cable to the airframe which has a quick release pin on the other end. He drilled a small hole in the door handle and as long as the PILOT gets the door physically closed correctly and moves the door handle forward to the latched position, this pin locks into the door handle physically preventing the handle from moving aft and unlatching the door. This is in addition to the Cessna "button" that is supposed to the do the same thing. It would take me one second longer (if that) in an emergency to exit the airplane as a result of this additional lock and nobody is allowed to touch it except me. I always brief passengers and have them unlock it before we start up so they understand how it works but then I always do the final door closing before we fly.

I have a difficult time believing the 1973 and later doors have not experienced this problem many times. It always looked like a week spot to me. I am not familiar with the latches on the P-models but I had always hoped they were better then the latch on my non-P model. Apparently not. Frankly I am surprised there is not an A.D. on the issue.

I would be interested to here more details of the event should they become available.

I am glad everyone was OK.

Ed