Thread: 337G Fixed gear
View Single Post
Unread 11-17-10, 03:05 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The 337 gear is most definitely a strong system. I am not aware of any changes to the O2 system vs the civilian model (correct me if I'm wrong). I know that Cessna did some major testing of the gear system because dad was in Wichita while they did some testing on the gear. They had crane hoisting the aircraft in the air and releasing it. I remember him saying that he was just amazed at the results. I don't remember the height that they released it at but I do remember dad saying that the belly almost touched the ground.

Also AirScan has their own GW increase STC for their aircraft and they had to do a drop test.

It's a beefy system but I do not know how it compares to the 336. I would call Don Neiser and talk to him about it also.

Is there a rule that says you can't fly the aircraft with the gear inop? I guess you want to go into the main system and safety secure the main spring system? Make sure everything is locked and can't release in some way?

I have been on some pretty rough surfaces with my 337 back in the day. Some of them up in Whitehorse and Atlin Lake, BC. Several trips up there back in the 80's and 90's. Also the Idaho wilderness areas. I would say that the biggest weakness might be the nose gear.

Here is the one you are looking for:

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N53504.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N53504 1.jpg
Views:	2173
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	1169  

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 11-18-10 at 03:03 AM.