View Single Post
Unread 08-28-20, 12:08 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.oconnor19 View Post
Has anyone installed these Plane-Power R1224 regulators and removed the diode laden 1960's designed board. If so what paperwork is required and where can I source it? I am a member at CPA and cannot locate any "337 Paperwork" there, Hard to search 337 as our plane keeps coming up too.

In either case I have been chasing ghosts and want to upgrade power system, seems to me that the removal of the old systems and replacement with up to date solid state design makes sense. Just need to stay legal...

Thoughts...Help...
You can't really get rid of the 1960's "diode laden" board, because it runs the idiot lights on the panel. What you CAN do is replace the regulators with true paralleling regulators that have wire(s) running between them to balance the load. The Cessna 400 series regulators have one wire that runs between them. These Plane-Power units appear to have two - look at the "Dual Alternator Only" inputs on it. There is a + and a - terminal.

The Plane-Power units are already STC'ed, so no 337 paperwork required. That is a plus*.

The wires from the original regulators are re-connected to the new regulators, so the install is very straightforward. The regulator mounting holes for the firewall are different, so most will fabricate a mounting plate out of aluminum to adapt. YMMV.

*EDIT - On further review, it appears a 337 form may still be required for the Plane Power regulators. My understanding now is that they would have to be "FAA-PMA" to NOT require a 337 form. Since they are only "STC", they DO require a 337, which requires a cooperative FSDO.

Last edited by mshac : 08-30-20 at 01:10 PM.