Thread: Erratic Voltage
View Single Post
Unread 03-25-23, 01:44 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Rereading your post, (AND I AM NO EXPERT, just a 21 year owner who watches my shop work and learns as much as I can, without turning wrenches (that is not fun for me)), I did observe your comment in what appears to me to be quite a voltage disparity between your front and rear alternators. Your front is likely out of spec high and your rear is likely out of spec low. Please confirm this with an expert but I am reasonably certain the target voltage is 28.4 volts with either or both alternators functioning properly.

I do not know what negative results might occur with the disparity you reported but that does sound abnormal to me. In my experience minor voltage fluctuations continuously occur across my system (1973 C337G model) as observed on my digital volt meter however turning one alternator or the other off and running on a single alternator does not change the displayed voltage appreciably. Additionally, the fluctuations that I do observe running on both or single alternator output is on the order of plus or minus a half a volt. In other words, my volt meter displays a range between 28 to 29 volts with the average being closer to the 28.4 volt target.

I think/hope this info is accurate. Please confirm with someone smarter than me. Good Luck!!