View Single Post
Unread 01-04-03, 02:04 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
engine out

With my 1972 337F I had several engine out events. One at 10,000 feet over George. I was not able to hold 10,000 feet but circled above an airport down to 8,000 feet and was able to hold that alt. until I trouble shot down engine and did a restart. Mixture problem. Non event. I also with the same plane lost front engine on take off out of Mackinac Island, Michigan (MCD) 3500 ft runway. Four people on board and about 85 gallons fuel. Lost engine just before rotation. I was able to abort take off with plenty of runway to spare. Also non event. Same plane shooting an ILS into Appleton. Wisc. in heavy wet snow, like Larry, front engine throttle became packed with ice/snow and was not able to reduce power. I did the approach with back engine at much reduced power and when I was about to land, I shut the mixture off on front engine so engine would stall. It turned out well and to be a non event, but at the time, it seemed to be a major event.

With my P337G first flight out of ann. a few months back, like Chachi's experience, blew new gasket on front engine oil filter adpt. and lost all oil pressure on that engine. I was able to shut engine down quickly with no damage to engine and did a 180 degree turn back to BTL about 25 miles. Non event again, but your mind does work overtime and play tricks like---GEE WHAT IF I LOSS THE OTHER ENGINE!!! You sure don't want to take that chance and fly far on only one engine. Find an airport close by and land. You will find if you practice engine out events often as I do, they become non events when it really happens.

Jerry
N34EC