View Single Post
Unread 02-16-16, 09:01 PM

Hankgator is on a distinguished road
T337E Problem at full throttle, full rich

Hi, again. Wondering if anyone on here has any insight into this kind of problem. Had to abort a takeoff today on a T337E because the rear engine lost power as I pushed the throttle to full. Mixture was full rich. Field elevation is only about 235 ft and the temperature was around 70. The front engine was fine. The rear just began to conk out as I got to full throttle in a smooth, steady press, during the roll. RPM dropped precipitously. Power seemed to increase fine until just before full throttle.

The plane had a new turbocharger installed a year ago and was only flown twice after that. I don't remember any issue with full throttle power. With some testing, we discovered that it seems to reach full power at full throttle if the mixture is retarded about an inch. An IA I know was with me and he tried to reset the mixture, but now it won't pull back all the way when you lean it. It leans enough to shut down the engine, but he's not satisfied, because he's worried he only shifted the stops so that it doesn't go full rich. The other engine seems fine at full throttle, full rich and has the full mixture range on the lever available.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any thoughts as to what would cause this problem?