View Single Post
Unread 05-08-18, 08:17 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas green View Post
I was under the impression, being very new to any soapa activity , that this was a Skymaster group trip. Either way works for me but I would like to see more Skymaster group activities. I am happy to chip in and do some planning.
Tom / Others

We did some good Skymaster events starting back in 2002. Last one was 2011 maybe I think. It got a little frustrating as most of the same folks always showed up. We would get 6 - 10 planes on average but some did draw more interest. I think we had close to 20 in OKC at Don Niesser's place. Most of those events were focused on Skymasters. We would have speakers and Skymaster related presentations but it was difficult to get folks to do presentations without monetary support. Then the Skymaster pilots on the west coast said we were not being fair to them having all the flyins on the east side of the country so we did the next meeting in Las Vegas and only one western plane shows up. We had Sparky Imason speak at that meeting. Some really good stuff on mountain flying. Anyway, I started doing these annual trips in 2012 for some Michigan guys but thought "Why not invite the Skymaster group too". We have had some participation but not a lot of interest as you can see by the posts in the threads about these trips each year. We did the Bahama Islands in 2016 and had a little interest from like 3 pilots on the forum. One pilot did join us from Las Vegas and with my Skymaster and Tracy and Lisa we had a total of 3 twin tails. That is as big as its got.

In 2015 or 2016 the guys down in Ohio put on a great gathering. There were about 15 birds down there and Make Jackson did a presentation and it was FANTASTIC. My hat was off to those guys that hosted that event. It was great.

Thanks for signing up Thomas Green you will enjoy our trips.

For everyone else if you don't like to join the Bonanza's and RV's then let's talk Skymaster trips again. Although I don't think I am interested in putting the event together because I am doing all the work on these trips, like Yellowstone this year. Give me some ideas or come join us, you won't regret going with us.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years