Thread: Autopilot
View Single Post
Unread 12-01-07, 05:08 AM

basloane is an unknown quantity at this point
My sincerest apologies to Pete, Larry and Dave.

I posted my message regarding autopilots in October, but for some reason the system did not notify me that you had been responding to, and trying to help, me. Also, at the time, it slipped my mind that I had even posted the message ( that I can blame on age! ) I feel very bad about this,....again, my sincerest apologies to all.

Ok,....now to the problem....

On the ground, the wing levelling, heading hold and nav tracking functions seem to work very well. The trim wheel however, continually rolls forward, hits the limit of travel, and then the motor continues to try and roll the thumb wheel forward. If I give the control column a quick "shove" forward or backward, the wheel stops and the system seems to become stable.

All three switches for initial engagement, nav tracking and altitude hold engage very easily on the ground.

In the air, I set the aircraft up for level flight, trim it well and then try to engage the autopilot. It resists engagement and I must repeatedly push the rocker switches until it finally engages, then the trim thumbwheel starts rolling forward. The wheel reaches the limit of its travel and then the motor continues to try and roll the thumbwheel forward.

All of these "goings on" do not affect the trim, attitude or flight of the aircraft.

I have replaced the Artificial Horizon and Directional Gyro, and had all the boxes removed and sent to Autopilots Central for testing.

I can't think of anything else. Looking for ideas.

Best Regards,.....Barry Sloane