View Single Post
Unread 02-14-05, 11:21 AM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
I had thought about flying from here along the East or West Coast of Florida on my way back home - the flight at 2000' under Miami Bravo across the swampland was interesting, but not very scenic by comparison. I took that route after having breakfast with some friends at Sebring on the way down as it was the shortest route between the two points. We plan to fly up to Naples to see some friends later this week. The over-water keys portion is so exceptional compared to the Iowa cornfields, that I have no problem burning the extra fuel... it is spectacular!

We are staying at Bahia Honda Key, and I have noticed that northwest of this (between here and Key West) there must be a airship/blimp scenic ride service that has two blimps attached via cable(?) From here, they appear to go up several thousand feet in an alternating pattern - 1 up, 1 down, etc... I did not see this on the sectional, but it must be listed... - so I would suggest to anyone flying down here - stay on the SOUTH side of the keys on the route in and out of Key West to stay clear of the cables.

To anyone having doubts about the trip down here - I absolutely recommend it... It will be one I will always remember. Fuel at Marathon is like 2.40 - so it is VERY reasonable. I have found it as low as 2.31 in other places... Almost economical!

Hope to see you all in May!