View Single Post
Unread 06-12-19, 10:34 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Hello Guys
after hearing Ernie incident , i would highly recommend to install the Monarch fuel caps, ,specially if the plane is parked out side, believe me it will safe you lot of troubles, out of 160 squawks i had during my pre buy , few of them were related due to water in fuel system ,as back engine was not producing enough power among others and it took lot of time and money to resolve those issue and i have installed these caps now.
Dennis
Dennis, good call on the updated fuel caps, as our aging aircraft continue to grow old any new and better device is a positive.

Let me discuss one issue that some folks have had that the new caps will not fix. In the service port of our aircraft is an overflow tube that collects small amounts of overflow and allows the fuel to exit under the wing. These small tubes are also suppose to drain any water that may try to collect in this service port when the aircraft is stored in the elements. Everyone should test these drains to be sure they are not broken or cracked. If they are compromised you will not know unless you try this test. Take a small amount of fuel and pour it into the service port, with the fuel cap on, while the bottom of the tube under the wing is plugged. Either have someone pour the fuel while you hold your finger under the tube under the wing or plug the tube with something that will not harm the pipe. If the fuel pools in the service port then the tube is sealed and working correctly. If the fuel drains from the service port then there is a crack or the tube is broken inside the tank. This is how the water intrudes into the fuel cell. I have personally seen this on my airplane and have read from others that this has happened. In fact it was determined that the Skymaster departing Point Lookout in Branson, MO had this very issue. Check your tank drains folks and if you have a problem be very careful when you leave your aircraft in the elements.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years