View Single Post
Unread 10-02-02, 09:01 PM

Tony Giantonio is an unknown quantity at this point
It Turly is Buyer Beware

I have personally seen many instances of this sort of thing. I have inspected aircraft and log books for years and I am always amazed at what is found, or better yet sometimes hidden. The first thing when you buy an aircraft, any aircraft not just a 336/337 is to have someone who knows that type of aircraft look at it for you. Unless you are an a&p IA. Yes people will try to get things passed prospective buyers. In your case missing logs is the first red flag. Were they lost, stolen, distroyed, or what? Is it documentated why logs are missing. If it is documented your given a reason for the missing logs. I would be very cautious from here on. Now if the aircraft is in tremendous shape, has had routine maintenance, that is documentated, and hasn't changed owners 10 times in the last 10 years then the first few years of life of this bird might not be too disadvantageous. If you get the FAA records and see FAA form 337's that are not in the logs another red flag. Somthing to question. Why the repairs or alterations. But in the end its the buyers decision if all the things that come up, if he is willing to put down his hard earned money on a iffy aircraft and live with what ever comes up. Not to make a case for the mechanics we all know the mechanics make too much money and don't need it, but in my opinion you cant spend your money any better than on a good mechanic who will work on your behalf. He may even know the aircraft or can talk to the current owners/shops and resolve any questions. Thats just my two cents.