View Single Post
Unread 08-13-02, 04:37 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Post Hmmmm..... old vs. new

Skyking your right... as you have garretts and the early ones were the older truck conversions made by Ray Jay.... but, actually the older ones would boost to a higher pressure... thus could actually get up higher... if you check the service height of the early turbos to yours... and not because you have a bleed off of pressure to the cabin.. you will see that they actually could go to 32,000 ft.. while the later T's it was limited to 28,000 because they ran out of boost... I once took one to 28,000 and it was not fun... but, I believe that the thing would have gone to 32 if I wasn't so frozen... you can't believe what the mountains look like from that alt... and how cold it can get inside the cabin... and how long it takes you to get back down... and quit shivering... I actually got fatague from shivering... and sore the next day... smile... I don't recomend that anyone go up their... even with the southwind heaters... they don't work... and when you think about engine heat... well their almost isn't any... so you have to point the nose down and power down to keep the heat up... fuel doesn't like to burn and flow.. etc...and you have to run the boost pumps on high... smile... GMAs