View Single Post
Unread 08-08-02, 12:48 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Skyking asked me to post a response to this thread. My experience is as follows:

First, I have a 73 P337. I use straight 50 wt detergent oil in the summer and 40 wt in the winter (Aeroshell). I try to fly evey week, although sometimes there is a 2 or 3 week gap between flights.

My experience with my high time engines (800 and 1600) is the same as with my current low time engines (100 and 200). The high time engines sat for about six months before I bought the airplane (no flight time at all), but before that and since the airplane has been flown actively for most of it's life.

I have not experienced the carbon buildup thing. I do not have a problem after I change the oil. I change the oil and filter at 25 - 35 hour intervals.

All five engines that I have had on my P337, and both engines on my 65 C337, all exhibited the same dipstick behavior. If you fill above six quarts, the oil goes on the belly. Therefore, I wait until the dipstick reads five quarts or slightly below, and then I add a quart. My flight instructor, who has 600+ hours in C337 and T337 aircraft flying checks at night says that this was the normal behavior in the aircraft that he flew as well.

Most of my P337 flying is done between 12,000 and 20,000 feet. I climb at 31" and 2500 RPM, mixture full rich during the whole climb. In cruise, I run 50 degrees rich of peak on the first cylinder to peak, although I am currently reevaluating that choice. Fuel flow in climb is about 110 PPH. I have no problems with MP fluctuations on either engine.

CHT in winter (Pacific Northwest) runs 340 during climb, 290 - 300 in cruise (EI CHT gauge). In the hottest of conditions, 100+ ambient on the ground, I will see 375 in climb and 340 at high altitude cruise.

I hope I hit all the points that folks are interested in. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Kevin