View Single Post
Unread 07-14-03, 07:53 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
vg's

Frank

I would disagree with your mechanic

"a bunch go missing it will affect the areodynamics". These are put on with superglue or epoxy. Chances of losing them are minimal. Considering the qty I rather doubt it any loss of performance would be noticed.

"Other concern was flying into ice and having them collect ice"

Ice collects on leading edges or behind leading edges creating ridges; not near the chord of the wing or behind the chord. These "gates" (VG's) are designed to keep the airflow attached to the wing. I would expect during icing conditions the pilot would increase manouvering, approach and landing speeds accordingly with or without VG's ! With ice all theory goes out the window.......

Technology has come a long way especially in the layout and implementation of VG systems. Hard to find any modern aircraft design not using VG's ...... somewhere.

I am sure there are no limitiations on the STC.......

The only real difference between the Robertson and use of VG is the aileron authority and the # of sq ft of additional wing or flap area (to keep it simple).

Slow speed........... go get a helio courier (amazing) then do a turbine conversion with a 5 blade prop <G>.

Finally...... how many fly 6 knots below published airspeed with a horton system or any other ??????

Bob

Last edited by Bob Cook : 07-14-03 at 08:07 AM.