View Single Post
Unread 07-13-03, 09:54 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
The Scoop on VG's

As promised, I asked a guy with a normally aspirated 337 at our airport about his VG installation. He installed the Micro Aerodynamic VG's about 2 weeks ago.

He was very impressed with the VG kit. It came with a laser cut tape that is layed out on the wings, and the VG's are glued in place. The VG's came pre-painted to match his paint (I think this costs $100 extra). He said the kit was very complete, even included some bandaids in case he cut himself working on the VG's.

The VG's are supposed to be able to be installed in a day. He said it took 2 days for his to be installed.

The VG are very small (maybe 3/4" long and 1/4" high), not like the big ones installed under the rear cowl on my Horton kit. If one did come loose, I don't think it would hit the rear prop, and if it did, I can't see how it could do much damage. I've seen these on other twin Cessnas over the years, and I've never seen a missing one.

This guy hasn't fully checked out the performance improvements yet, but says that his initial reaction is that full flap stall speed is lowered by about 6-8 mph (about the same as my Horton kit provides, but at about half the price.)

Mark