View Single Post
Unread 03-11-21, 04:54 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
The hull value makes a big difference. When I got my plane last year, I had 1200 hours in a 172 and 0 in anything else (other than my IFR), let a lone a skymaster. For $1M, small deductible, $100K passenger and $47k hull I paid $2800 but needed to have 20 hrs dual and 50 takeoffs and landings - which were accomplished during my training.

This year I was thinking that since I put 110 hours on the plane last year, my rates would go down. Well, they did not. My insurer from last year wanted to raise them $250 AND have 10 hrs dual. I found an other carrier that gave me the same limits for $2830 - so ended up being only $30 more than last year. I am 53 years old.

As said below, the insurance market is a crazy animal. But the overwhelming factor will be the hull value.

A follow up note on the maintenance. I am extremely thankful for this form. I read a lot of postings on what people were paying for maintenance and annual inspections. I used that knowledge to hold off buying a skymaster for several years while I built up a cash maintenance fund. These are great plans, but they do cost to maintain so dont go into it thinking anything else. I budgeted for the first 2 years annuals to be $18K, with $12k annuals after that - first annual came in less than expected, so off to a good start. If you go into it being smart, it is a great experience!