View Single Post
Unread 12-15-02, 07:48 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re ice

Colin

If you live north or RDU you are always in jeopardy of finding ice... at almost any altitude. Last friday passing ERI enroute to IAG the controller cleared me from 14 to 7k at "pilot's discrestion". Interesting the controller's always seem to try and tell you something. When I acknowleged ,he then indicated there was reported icing between 9k and 3k. You could see it coming up to the lake. Surface temp was 0 deg. C and winds were 240 at 24 gusting 30 ( southerly flow). You knew that there was going to be ice. You would NEVER consider doing this decent flight with the forcast without boots. It is interesting that very few pilots report icing as it spoils it for other aircraft travelling the same route. Also interesting that the controllers "hint" but never seem to come out and "declare" icing unless a pilot has reported moderate or greater. This case it was moderate. Hmmmmm....

Although the 337 is not certified with known ice, there is no question any aircraft needs to monitor the situation very closely and know beforehand there is a way out. Freezing rain or percip is no option. I hand fly in ice and i haven't found the tail is accumulating any more ice than the rest of the AC. The trim position seems to hold it's position. You do notice a reduction in airspeed and you definately know when the alternate air door opens! The mp takes a big bump .... downward.

With a turbo you have a real good chance of climbing out of it without getting into trouble. Just keep the climb angle reduced when ice is encountered so it doesn't build up other than the leading edge. At night there is very little room to dodge ice especially when you are transitioning a cold front. I have seen it at -10 to -15 deg OAT.

Word to the wise.... make sure you hand fly it in ice and soon as you see that you need more forward trim then it is time to find a route out ... quickly. BTW The hot plate works extremely well.

I have clear ice on a couple of occasions but it never lasted more that a few seconds... luckily.

If you live in Toronto you will need boots if you intend to fly IFR... with any form of reliability.

Larry -- re turbo gunk

I have never experienced any form of turbo gunk. They are extremely reliable. I did go pressurized mag mod to get rid of the pre-ignition problems. They are gone as well. Leaning the engines and changing oil every 30 hrs seems to avoid the problem so far. Having the furnace (janitrol) is more maintenance but it also appears to be very reliable so far.

As far as fuel flow I burn 26 gph at cruise and 30 on the climbs... no doubt more than normally aspirated.

bob