View Single Post
Unread 12-15-02, 10:13 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re 337s

Colin

I concur with Kevin. The P has much better suited for comfort and range. IF you mission is typically 600-1000 miles range then the P starts to shine. It lets you run around on top rather than banging around below. Consequently you do pay somewhat more for turbos and maintenance. It does add to the annual costs, however, like power steering..... once you have it you would not want to go back. There is a drawback in that you do need aircondioning at times due to the pressurized air temp. Again, dependent on mission.

If you do look for a P then find one with boots. You do experience more ice or at least exposed to more ice in the northern latitudes. I question if I would ever consider a P without boots unless living in california or New mexico. It's hard to avoid.

I have a feeling that the advantage of running at higher altitudes with greater ground speeds helps to reduce the cost differencial. Kevin is the record holder for GS but two weeks ago I was running 230 knots over four hours whereas at 10k ft I would have been down to 140 knots !!!! The fact you have more options gives you an edge.

In the summertime dodging CBs "VFR" at mid teens is better than trying to find them when they are embedded.

If you catch up on the history with this board and the UNO board there are copious discusssions related to this question. The real killer is trying to find an aircraft that has been well treated and maintained. If not you can get into trouble like Kevin and unknowingly end up with additional expenses that were not planned. Low time AC is can be a real drain on your pocketbook. This stands for any aircraft not just a 337/

I am sure there are many others on the board that can assist you in labelling all the pitfalls. Do not skimp on a pre purchase regarless of the type. Find someone that knows skymasters, not your local A&P.

337's are exceptionally safe and are no more expensive to operate or maintain than any other twin. Not necessarly less but not any more. The 337 is a unique aircraft that has exceptional flying qualities including an exceptional smooth ride. Great IFR platform... When you lose an engine the good one takes you to the airport. What is the only aircraft that made it around the world nonstop..... and what did it look like ? 337 was before it's time....

hope this helps.

Bob