View Single Post
Unread 08-01-04, 11:58 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I think Skyking took you literally. You can't just Xerox form, white out the name and N-number, and use it for your aircraft, which is what I think he thought you meant. What your mechanic or radio shop *can* do is to look at someone elses 337 form, and use it to copy much of the verbage for a *new* 337 form they prepare for you.

For example, on request, CPA will send you a copy of a 337 form that was used to approve changing to the self-balancing regulators instead of the completely independent voltage regulators that are stock. With this 337 comes all of the engineering information that was used to justify the approval- drawings of the installation, schematic, etc. Your A&P would have to review this 337, and go through all of the checks to make sure that he could do a proper installation of these regulators on your particular aircraft and prepare a new 337 with updated weight and balance for your aircraft, etc etc using the engineering data from the CPA 337 copy, and then get a field approval from an FAA inspector on *your* 337 form.

An STC would be even easier if available, because it would include all the paperwork that you would need. You get those from a manufacturer or modifier, and frequently they charge for them to recover the cost of the development that went into them. So you can't just copy the STC form and call it good as far as I understand it, because you are not the STC holder. Perhaps Garmin has an STC that might help you, but I doubt it. There has been talk about making it possible to install some or all IFR GPS systems without getting a field approval for each one, and your avionics shop should be up on the details for that, perhaps there is in STC now, or they have changed the rules some other way.

I hope someone has a 337 form that they don't mind sharing a copy of, as it may very well be helpful to your shop, and whoever has the copy paid the shop to do the work, so they certainly have the right to copy it. 337 forms are public record anyway.

But on the other hand, you are still going to have to pay your shop, and a DER if necessary (depending on whether you have a P337 or not) to ensure that all is right for *your* particular installation, so the 337 copy may not save any effort at all really.

Good luck,

Kevin