Thread: 73 337g
View Single Post
Unread 02-09-05, 02:33 AM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
I have looked at the accident statistics and given this issue some serious thought.

Unfortunately, there really is no cut and dried answer in the single vs. twin debate. All we know for sure is that, overall, the accident rate for twins and for high performance singles is comparable. We lack the data to definitively answer which type is safer and why.

But, I know my pucker factor goes through the roof when I am flying a single at night and the engine coughs, and it's not nearly as scary when it happens in a twin. This is conducive to a calmer and more reasoned handling of the problem (if there really is a problem). This, in itself is worth something to me.

There are risks in aviation. We can't mitigate them all. But it is hard for me to "trust in fate" when I don't have to. Engine failures happen, and a twin is the only way (other than a parachute) to mitigate this risk. And flying a Skymaster or other CLT twin is the only way to mitigate the risk that your engine-out skills won't be over-taxed in the event of an engine failure at just the wrong time.

PS: For what it's worth and to the best of my knowledge, the P337 has the best published single-engine rate of climb in comparison to ALL pressurized piston twins (and the second highest single engine service ceiling).