View Single Post
Unread 12-25-20, 04:55 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetter View Post
I always thought those Garmin AFMS entries were "checkboxes" and the installer goes through the generic AFMS and tailors it to your installation be checking the various limitation boxes. No checkmark in the box means the limitation didn't apply to your installation. I'll read up more on it.
That would make sense, jetter. I'm looking at a blank copy of the PDF on my computer. I'll be flying tomorrow, so I will look in the POH where the airplane's copy is.

What was required to enable the auto flight VNav, in respect to my two 430W, the Sandel 3308, and the 400A; was the last software upgrade on the 3308 to V2.3 ($1700)*, a 400hz inverter, and a King/Bendix autopilot adapter (which required a modification), and some additional hardwiring from the 430Ws to the 3308. Sandel provided the wire diagrams (shop kept them). My shop could not find the specific A/P adapter as they are out of production but knows the guy at Sandel, and he sent one to the shop without charge. Anyway, after a couple of weeks, my shop only works half a day, it was done. We went and flew the approaches, and the shop owner said, you are good to go. Selections between the two 430Ws and VHF Navs are through the selector on the 3308.

The APC pilot was very complimentary of my shop's integration; he said it was perfect.

*This is where I first considered the G5s as what started this was that my attitude indicator had failed, and it was good timing to take care of the VNav stuff. I learned that the G5 causes the 400A to away. With a nice flying 400A, that would be a lot of money spent to get back to the same capability. I bought a replacement attitude indicator and had the failed indicator repaired for $1150 altogether and keep the spare on the shelf. After the coming annual, I will find a spare 3308; they have gotten cheap and keep it on the shelf as well. That should last me another decade.

I've also not seen any other 3308s updated to 2.3.

Last edited by patrolpilot : 12-25-20 at 04:57 PM.