View Single Post
Unread 09-02-02, 03:11 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
...and if you have R/STOL

For those of you with later P-models with the Cessna 'advertised' long-range tanks (1975 and later - the 4-tank arrangement)... if you have a Roberston STOL kit installed, the outboard tanks have been replaced with a slightly smaller tank to accomodate the Robertson rigging mechanism that allows the ailerons to be lowered with the flaps... your usable fuel is 71.5 gallons per side, or a total of 143... not 148. You might want to check the overhead fuel selector switches and make sure they're correctly placarded.

And Kevin... that 118 gallon figure was just stuck in my memory bank, but since you have the 1973 POH, you're information is more probably correct. When I was searching the marketplace, I happened on to 1973 with R/STOL and for some reason I recall the owner telling me his usable was 118 gallons... that's where the figure came from. But since the earlier P-models only have three tanks, I wouldn't think there'd be any penalty of fuel since there's nothing out there in the wing ends to interfere with the R/STOL rigging.

In any event, it's nice to have 148, ahhh, I mean '143' gallons usable with our R/STOL equipped bird, but like it's been said, the bladder capacity keeps the range much shorter!

Besides range, one additional benefit of the long range tanks is to be able to 'tanker home' some cheap fuel... WHEN you can find a deal. I recall when we had our FBO in the 70's, we were selling 100/130 and 100LL for $0.62 a gallon... and lately we're having to fork out $2.30 a gallon... are we getting screwed now, or what? Geesh... from $14.88/hour to $55.20/hour just for gas!! (based on 24/gph)

SkyKing