View Single Post
Unread 04-06-04, 02:14 AM

Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I have to admit it. I've ceramic coated all my Skymasters and Lances exhaust. I wouldn't fly without it.

How many of you can shut off your engine after landing. Open the door, get out, walk over the to exhaust pipe, and place your hands on it? I'm going to guess, not many of you. Well... I can. The taxpayers paid the millions to research ceramic coatings for the aerospace industry. Proven it works and then not use it? I've never had a cracked pipe. Never had any corrosion or problems of any kind with the coatings coming off. (In fact, you will have to GRIND it off if you do put it on) My oil temps never see over 210, and head temps are reduced an honest 20 degrees. I think the problems people have seen are the nice looking, cheap, automotive coatings. The ones I've always used are always one manf. and they are thick and ugly. But.... they warranty your metal for life against corrosion of any kind. Costs about $400-500 for each engine. The cheap guys, shiney finshes would cost you about 150-250. That's my two cents. If you want a demonstration of getting out of the plane and grabing your exhaust pipes, let me know, and I'll let you grab'em.

One more thing. Interesting fact. When you run the exhaust hot. Then de-cowl. You will notice you can touch ANYWHERE on the coated exhaust. Even at the head, BUT... you can't touch any uncoated parts (clamps, probes, nuts) they are too hot, and will burn you. Amazing products.

Richard