View Single Post
Unread 09-09-05, 02:16 PM

Mark McConaughy is an unknown quantity at this point
CLT and Instrument

Quote:
Originally posted by larry bowdish
I have conventional ME. I did all my instrument training in my 337. I have an unrestricted MEI.
It was originally written up as ME, I CLT only. OKC bounced it to Washington, and it came back as MEI, no CLT restriction.

The rules may have changed, and your mileage may vary, however I suspect that they have not, and you should be able to get your MEI, taking the I in a 337. I would argue against going out and doing it over in a conventional ME, unless you are intimately familiar, because it does involve shutting down (zero thrust, not actually shutting down of course) an engine and shooting an approach single engine.
Well Larry’s reply is correct. However, the reason I said check with the examiner first is this. At that point where your examiner gives you an answer you know or are reasonably sure is incorrect ask him for a regulation or guidance document where you can find the correct answer. Let him find the right answer(s) first; this is much easier than having to correct a certificate. If you still have questions or have not gotten a straight answer at that point he should contact his Principal Operations Inspector (every DPE {Designated Pilot Examiner}has an FAA Inspector that he answers to)if he still tells you that you would have a restriction on your certificate. You can contact your local FSDO or the one that supervises the DPE yourself. It is best not to say you wanted to verify what the DPE told you just ask the question. (We would not want to upset the DPE before the check ride.)The phone call will yield an answer in a day or so. Getting a Certificate corrected can talks weeks or even months, a lot of letter writing, and some uncomfortable moments. You don't have to do this but I’m sure what Larry went through was somewhat less than fun. Finding out first is much less stressful than the surprise you get when the DPE hands you a brand new certificate with a restriction you weren’t expecting.