View Single Post
Unread 12-29-04, 09:06 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Industrial Engineer, haven't done any serious engineer work in a long time. Now do MIS stuff. No brainer. (it's all 1's and 0's, right Kevin??)
Oh, and on the moment thingie, if you have ever seen a Soloy Silver Eagle 210, they have a really ugly nose, sticks way out there. Now, part of the reason is that there is some plumbing at the rear of the engine that must be accomodated, but a significant portion of the reason is the change in the weight of the engine, and by sticking it way out there, they maintain the same CG on the airframe. Skymasters would have the same issues if we could ever get an Innodyn turbine installed.

Another thought, Richard, is that I remember reading that when they did the Chelton EFIS in a Citation (which was a 4 tube display, all the AHRS stuff, GPS, etc), they were able to reduce weight by 30 pounds. It seems to me the best increase in functionality and reduction in weight can be tackled at the panel, depending of course with what you are starting with. Fortunately, it is relatively near the CG.

Also, I'm a little suprised by your empty weight. Mine is (I think) 3081 (maybe 3051), with the cargo pod on. I'll check with my mechanic in the AM. It's lighter now, no rear engine at the moment

Mine is '69 337D, so same basic airframe as yours. Mine has really old radio stuff. I have dual KX-175, old audio panel, old loran, DME-64 (analog), Terra transponder and Terra ADF, with a King needle, King KT-76 second transponder, and RDR 160 radar, in a pod, with an green cathode tube display. Now, you would think that all that stuff on would make mine a lot heavier than yours, especially when you consider that the pod is 38 pounds all by itself. The radar display is not light, the pod is two men and a boy to lift. I seem to remember that you don't have de-ice boots, and I know that the plumbing and boots are not light. Also, with boots you get a substantially increased front vacuum pump. I have dual steel oxygen bottles, and all the plumbing for the 6 seats.

All in all, I would think there would be a huge difference in your empty weight and mine.

Are you going to load up the kids and come to Key West??

Last edited by WebMaster : 12-29-04 at 09:14 PM.