View Single Post
Unread 02-23-04, 09:48 PM
Marco in DR

marco is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to marco
In Quest of my first Skymaster

Thank You Kevin for such a wonderfully informative site.

I am looking to buy a Skymaster. I have been searching the net.
My budget is 100K to 125k... I am a US citizen currently living in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. I am looking for a good family plane to go puddle hopping to Central America, Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Florida and the Caribbean as well as within the country. As you know the weather here is very hot, so eventually fitting the Skymaster with AC will be high on my wish list. I am open to all possibility of sourcing the aircraft in the US or Europe. My only concern would be, if it is not a US registry aircraft, will I be able to take it on short trips to the US?

My main concern is that the aircraft be structurally and mechanically sound without having to spend a lot of money in this area. If the plane has had a gear up landing in it’s history, but was professionally repaired and is in solid condition, I would not have a problem with it. I am not looking for it to have the latest greatest avionics, great paint or interior for that matter. I can add these items along the way. As for engine life: I would be ok with something in the area of 350 - 450 hrs to TBO and that cylinder compression is where it should be.

So far, I have seen several 73 -74 models that fit my budget, but one skymaster dealer made some comments that I felt deserved inquiring Skymaster owners.

Below are some comments that I would like to here your opinion on the 73 -74 models of the P337. Can these problems be adressed and fixed?

1. Cessna did a poor job on designing both engine baffle systems. As a result both engines run hot and especially the rear engine. This causes the engines to not reach TBO.

2. Cessna did a poor job on the initial electrical systems on P337’s. The electrics were re-designed in 1975.

3. The first two year models (1973-74) only have 123 gallon fuel tanks which really restrict the aircraft’s range. 1975 and newer aircraft have 150 gallon tanks of which 148 gallons are useable.

4. Both engines have an older designed exhaust system that is very prone to exhaust leaks. This causes the engines to not hold MP at higher altitudes and this is a very difficult problem to overcome.

5. Airconditioners are a problem for this aircraft and not worth the money. They create many problems and do not work well. Not a recommended upgrade. Move to a cooler climate.

Thank you so much for your help .