View Single Post
Unread 02-22-04, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
And Guy's story supports my experience on my first 337 (see my first posting on this thread), where the old bird had sat for like 10 years, was inspected and repaired -- but engines were not overhauled -- and gave me trouble-free service for the 2 years I owned it.

I've been reluctant to disclose what I paid for my current 1973 337G, but finally decided that it might help others. I bought it in May 2002 for $71,000 with 2,500 TT, mid-life engines, above average interior and exterior, a superb suite of avionics (including IFR-certified GPS and Stormscope), a working 400 autopilot, no damage history, and the last five years maintained meticulously at OSU by the FBO run by Ohio State University (where the FBO takes care of the University's fleet as well as private planes). It had a fresh annual at purchase time. Although a small point, it has a polished burl-wood instrument panel with Ultravision blue/green lighting over each instrument. This panel is gorgeous, having been custom made for this aircraft.

The key was waiting. I looked at lots of aircraft. The seller of this aircraft (which was used mostly for business) wanted more, but the aircraft could no longer handle the passengers and loads he had to carry, so he had already bought a larger plane. He had no further use for the plane. Had to sell it. I was lucky. Hope you all get to see it in OKC in April.

Ernie