View Single Post
Unread 01-23-03, 02:01 PM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Cowl Flap motor

Hi Guy,
The cowl motor needs a good cleaning. They are easy to do if you wish to do it your self. I had both front & rear out on my 337H on my last annual. Yours should be the same. It took me about 1 hour each to remove disassemble, & clean. Remove the total motor & shaft assembly that is the easiest. Take the screws out of the support hanger on the fire wall that holds the long tub shaft . The far end away from cowl flap motor. Disconnect the links that go down to the cowl flaps & the link that go to the fire wall. Disconnect the quick disconnect wire harness. Remove the 2 screws in fire wall that hold the small sguare relay. Be very careful not to break these wires from relay they are very delicate.
No need to remove hanger on motor side of tub shaft. Move the whole assembly to the side & out. Look at it real good before removing, because it goes back in the same way. Put the whole assembly on work bench for disassembly & cleaning. Do not take motor out of assembly. That way you will not break any adjustments on motor travel or switches. Take the back end off motor, by remove 2 long screws that go through motor assembly.
There are 2 motor brushes in the motor that get gummy, hang up & cause the problem. Gently remove the back off the motor that house the brushes. Clean the brush assembly with a electrical cleaner or alcohol. Be careful not to break pig tails off brushes. Check lubrication on gear end of motor & replace. Reassemble motor and test. The motor can be tested on work bench by aplying 24 volts from battery or a 24 volt power supply to check motor travel & switch activation. Check all the wires before placing back on aircraft. Have your A&P inspect the proper installation & operation to make it legal. Have fun Dale Campbell