View Single Post
Unread 10-17-16, 01:24 AM

AP AVM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnadriver View Post
I have 20 years experience in airframe repairs for the US Army's aircraft. First of all is the corrosion very deep? You can remove the corrosion by means of using Scotch brite. If you get down to good metal with the Scotch brite, measure the metal remaining and if you still have approximately 80-90 percent you'll be okay. IF your have the 80-90 percent you can use an aluminum pickle to remove the corrosion then apply an alodine solution to protect the remaining metal afterwards spray entire worked area with ZINC CHROMATE! You'll have to get the zinc from an aviation supply house due to it being hazardous! As for the bulkhead/former your best bet is to replace those items if they are heavily corroded. Follow the maintenance manual in reference to supporting the frame while removing the bulkhead/formers. IT MAY REQUIRE YOU TO REMOVE THE WINGS ENGINES AND TAIL SECTION! This maybe critical so the frame does not deform.
BILLS
Hi Bills

On my next trip to hangar I will use your suggestion to see how deep the corrosion is. By the looks of it, it only looks on the top surface, but unless I scrape it off or remove it with scotch bite, I wouldn't know exactly. I will post update here after my analysis and test. Thanks Bill.