View Single Post
Unread 12-17-15, 12:11 PM

Stratus337 is on a distinguished road
Hopefully the attached picture shows up. What you see is the separation of one bucket that came out of the tank (there were 5 more with probably 1/3-1/2 of the bucket "separated"). Avgas is on the top, the dark line is where the water (or whatever it was) separated to the bottom.

This was the right tank and I had the selector properly selected to have the right tank going to the rear engine.

I did 8 hours of flying from California to South Carolina with a fuel stop in ABQ and one in Fayetteville, AR. I sumped the tanks and ran the engine drains each time.

Interestingly, out of California my front engine had some "moments" with fuel flow dropping for short periods of time, but it seemed to run just fine for the last 4-5 hours of flying. The rear engine seemed to run fine.

When I got to SC I did not add any fuel and made arrangements to get the mechanic to immediately deal with the slow leak from the sump drain. It was only when he called me to tell me what he had drained out (have to drain the tank to replace the sump drain) and then had me come look at the buckets that this all came up.

The plane had an annual inspection in November after sitting for about 6-8 months outside (California dessert) and it flew about 6 hours after the annual inspection.

In my mind, I either got some bad gas in Fayetteville that was suspended enough to not cause the engine to quit, or perhaps I had it all the way from California and each time I filled up (right before I flew) it stirred it up and allowed it to be suspended. I did call Fayetteville yesterday and alerted them this may have happened. They called back and said they tested their sumps and other checks and did not see a problem, though I doubt they would admit if they had.

The water (or other separated substance) was very dirty, but we have run some clean fuel through the tank and drained it and the tank appears clean so it had to have been pumped in.

I'm looking for the "ah-ha" moment on this but have not got it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water in gas 2.JPG
Views:	874
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	1615