View Single Post
Unread 04-28-15, 07:10 PM

B2C2 is on a distinguished road
I have always traveled down there somewhat in the bubble of the Baja Bush pilots, which is a large group and probably distorts reality somewhat. My trip to LaPaz was the first time I have traveled by myself, but found the commandante on the field to be exceptionally helpful for flight plan clearances and other paperwork, although certainly expecting a propina for his services. I have heard that fields with a military presence are quite safe, which would include all of the larger towered airports. I have also heard stories of occasional mischief at the smaller strips, but Baja in general seems to be somewhat displaced from the mainland in culture and criminal element. If you are traveling there I'd recommend visiting the BBP pages for advice as they have a lot of up to date information on arcane requirements of Mexican air travel and if there is anything unsavory going on in some locations. I have in general very much enjoyed my time down there. Its a beautiful area and largely unspoiled. When buying fuel its best to pay in pesos, as the exchange rate to dollars is pretty unfavorable. many locals change dollars for pesos, so if you are in a town ask to see where the locals change money, the rate will usually be much better than the hotel. the larger airports usually have fuel, but its mexico, so you have to be prepared for the unexpected.