View Single Post
Unread 07-03-13, 08:22 AM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Hi Johnny

If I could suggest some additional thought around the cost of the ferry, including the installation of the additional ferry tanks, associated plumbing, ferry pilot and fuel etc Vs dissasembly and shipping via a 40ft container.

I did this 3 years ago and my decision was to dissasemble and ship down under. Looking at the SID's for the 337G (Herb was a great help) my view was that the cost and potential for damage to the aircraft is significant, why spend the money to fly it out only then to pull it appart to do the SID's. My suggestion would be to pull it appart in the US and then do the SID's in NZ and put it back together at home base, this way you can also control the reassembly.

Give you some figures to ponder on.

*Feb 2010 Dissasembly and packing cost cost $4800 (3 guys, 2 days and 16hrs travel time for each, no one local with the experience on a 337)
*Feb 2010 Shipping 40ft container (Direct to LA to Melbourne) $5800

Now I can't give you the assembly cost as I have not made it that far yet, allthough we are getting close, but we are estimating approx $16000 to completed the assembly and provide the CASA CoA and back to IFR.

As the aircraft is appart I will carry out the eddy current and visual inspection of all specified components, this has been quoted as $800 to have this done. So again if the aircraft is appart it is easier and less costly.

As mentioned these are just what I did based on my circumstances and the project I took on.

Almost 800hrs of labour, hundreds of new nuts, bolts and washers, new hydraulic lines, new paint, complete new interior, lost count of the new stainless screws and we are just about to remove all hydraulic actuators for a refurb, not to mention brakes, bearings, all cables and even down to the aileron, rudder and elevator bearings - yes I am still married!

What can I say, you either love them (337's) or you don't.

There are plenty of bargins out there, but be sure in what your getting as the boys are right, hidden cost's will get you every time, maintanence and calander time on componenets are crucial. Unless your doing what I am and that is treat everything as expired and in need of replacing or overhaul (engines and props excluded) it can be a costly excercise.

Anyway enough of the waffle, good luck with finding the right bird for you and I am sure what ever the choice in ferry or shipping it will be the right one for you.

Dave