View Single Post
Unread 06-02-13, 02:49 PM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
The discrepancies on the individual sides do look a bit odd. Assuming that you for sure had full tanks before you took off and used the aux tanks for almost exactly one hour, and then topped everything off completely after the three-hour X-C, it seems the only explanation would be some 'delta' in the fuel being recirculated to the main tanks due to system plumbing (I couldn't explain why without delving into the maintenance manual-and then I might still not be able to explain it). Overall fuel usage looks pretty consistent.

I track my burns and fuel adds religiously on a spreadsheet (C337D) and have found that the rear engine consistently burns about 1.0-1.5gph less than the front engine (at like power settings). You appear to have had a similar slight (11.4 vs. 10.9) burn difference front-to-back, or 1.5 gal difference for the three hours, again not anything significant.

A fueling issue to be mindful of: The split main tanks on these earlier birds does mean you need to be sure the fuel has 'settled' completely before blithely assuming you're topped off - even if a visual check looks OK. This is especially so if the fuel source is a high volume pump; I had to return and land once for more fuel when this happened - luckily the fuel gauges in that airplane worked (not always the case). Some advocate doing one side, then the other, then going back again to (re)top off both sides.

One other little featurette regarding the aux tanks (I noted you pretty well drained the right aux on your flight - a bit more than I'd expect for an hour's burn): After an hour, when they're getting low, getting out of balanced flight (slipping or skidding) will quickly starve the engine. I found this out on a photo mission trying to slip the airplane for the photographer.

Anyway, welcome to the Skymaster world. They are fabulous airplanes!

Regards -
Joe