Thread: EchoFlight
View Single Post
Unread 09-27-02, 03:32 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
eflight

Rolf

I am not sure what Garmin is picking up from echoflight. The cheetah does a lot more because of the mapping. It has terrain avoidance, tower obstruction information, all the noaa plates, then there is mapping along with sat imaging. I am not sure if you can communicate via email. I would expect not. The update each month is about 500 megabytes of data from a CDROM which includes the noaa approach plates.

I assume with Garmin you get METAR, nexrad overlay along with wind etc. The echoflight has improved its resolution and bandwidth over the past month. There is a lot more local detail to nexrad. Seems the resolution is a function of distance you ask and distance you are from the wx.
I typically get 5-10 min old wx on downloads. It is quite current information. I think the system has improved since june. Sure rely on it!!!

The cheetah display is quite a bit larger and brighter than the Garmin 530. That I like. Now the downside..... It is too bright at night. It is easy to get at being yoke mounted. They now have the approaches in the system and gives you vertical guidance (vfr of couse).

Bob