Thread: Oil Levels.
View Single Post
Unread 09-11-02, 11:47 AM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Red face Actually.....

The stick tape has marks on it... Ya I have seen some people take a small grinder and put cuts in the tape along the way... also seen them score the tape where the levels are supposed to be... but, then again..... I have seen tapes break off too at these points...

The original and replacement tapes are marked by using etching methodes... like how they mark the hose tags... its kinda a electrochemical burn kinda thing...

So if you have scored it .. ground it... or othewise fractured the SS tape... well... smile..

Ok someone in the back of the room says.... what should we do... Hmmmmm..

Well the best way is to take a small prick center punch and right in the middle of the width of the tape... put a punch mark... some take and drill... or should I say burn... their way thru the center of the width of the tape.. its not a big hole mind you.. it is no more than a 1/32 to a 1/16 inch kinda thing.. so you don't weaken it too much... but, drilling the tape is kinda tough as it is SS for most...

replacements are not expensive... we have gotten a few under the .. well its the wrong one... kinda thing and cont engine has come thru with a lower price... to change it you remove the two rivets up under the handle and replace... here we recomend that you use a hand punch to make the new holes after marking it for the right location by using the holes in the handle... then a simple matter of re-riviting it back in place and fileing it round again...

Oh and runing the engine... and then measuring the oil... well... if you change the filter... you are going to take it down a little... but, if you will check it at oil change... don't worry about what is in the engine... its not going to be that much if it has been run in the last few days... but, as bob says... close enough after you run it... check it... but, I would not add any... as it has its 8 quarts... and one for the filter... kinda thing... also.. if you changed the oil filter... wait to add that last quart... is what some do... I think its not really required.. but, if you have the time... It is not a bad idea to add it after the pump has filled the oil filter... back up...

Keeping track of how much oil is used in filght is a art.. but, simple.. always check it the same... no you don't have to have a builders level on the screws... its not that critical.... just check it ...Oh say each time after the engine has been shut down for a hour... or before each flight of the day kinda thing... if traveling... after fueling... but, that is where the dip stick tape should have been already calibrated... pays off...

Fly safe... don't overfill.. don't run without... as each will cost big bucks... GMAs