View Single Post
Unread 07-23-10, 09:20 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi Bill,

Yes, I had a very expensive experience with this years ago at Oshkosh. It rained heavily one evening and bunches-o-water entered those covers and caused all sorts of trouble.

Anyway, replacing the seals is good but if it is the screw holes you are worried about, make sure you have the proper hardware installed. The "screw bases" (not sure exactly what they are called but it would be what the screw screws into attached to the airframe) are cupped. That is to say they are not open ended. There is a service bulletin on this but I cannot recall the number at the moment. They will not allow water to pass through.

All this said, I have very little faith with the entire arrangement so as an added precaution, I completely run a bead of silicon around the entire joint on both covers. It is rather unsightly and I suppose most would not want to deal with the cosmetic, flaw but for me, after spending $5000 plus to repair the water damage, an unsightly bead of silicon seemed like a much better option. Both my maintenance shop and avionics shop do not even bother asking me anymore. They know that if those covers have reason to be removed, they seal them all back up as neatly as they can knowing that I don't mind the appearance. Just keep the water out!!!

Ed