View Single Post
Unread 12-31-09, 12:10 PM

tkirklindale is on a distinguished road
my first 337:0

hi my name is Tommy Kirk. i bought a 1965 337 A 1 yr ago this November. WOW what a yr i am an A&P mechanice but havent ever worked on a 337 or flown one but i realy like the aircraft and wanted one real bad so one day on eBay i saw one i could aford so i went to look i did a pre buy on it and new it was going to need a lot of work. it was left in a hanger for over 14 yrs i pulled here out and spent a week getting it ready, from mags to fuel pumps, hoses so on so fourth...... basicly did a 500 hour rebuild/ inspection engines had been pickled to some point spent about $6000 getteing ready to ferry pulled her out hit the boost pump up went the fuel flow hit the starter cough spit bang and to life it came ran it for an hour mag check all good went to the front same cough spit bang and to life it came. ran even better than the rear or it sounded better. so i took off and flew it in the pattern for an hour landed refueled and departed for a 5 hour VFR
flight to texas. was uneventful , since then i have replaced all hydraulic lines and swung the gear and rebuilt the front prop replaced the rear prop another $9000 finally my IA said it is ready to be signed off .i have in parts alone $15000. so any way, the reason for my letter is every body is telling me that i am wasting my money and the 337 takes a lot of work to maintain i have lost confidence and gotten very discouraged in the aircraft. i only paid 25k for the plane. i added all the receipts up i have 42k in the aircraft. it has 3400TT and 400TT on both engines but they are over 10 yrs old all compression is 75. oil pressure 75 on front 50 on rear at running temp. avionics are 1985 junk they work that's all. but the aircraft is very solid and i am asking your opinion should i cut my loses or should i finish the plane i figure another 30k to finish the plane like i want it with new avionics and paint i can paint it my self its what i do so
that's not a problem please enlighten me i really have liked the 337, i am even hearing it from my wife she think it is the ugliest plane she ever seen. i haven't flown it anymore than 2or 3 hours and as soon as it gets signed off . I'm going to fly it a lot before i spend any more money on it and make sure the engines are going to hold up. any suggestion on that. what a journey this has been! i really believe this would make a great plane once completed. any help and advice u could give would be much appreciated. thank you for listening to my rant. the only issue i have is the right aux fuel gauge does not work and the cessna 400 auto pilot does not work i found a shop Gulfport avianics in FL they priced me a 430 /330/and g106 and audio pnl for $17500 instaled. any know where to get it cheaper.. sincerly lost and confussed