View Single Post
Unread 06-29-09, 11:08 PM

aldoradave is on a distinguished road
Please don't make the same mistake I did--assuming a general number. THe zero thrust rpm varies greatly with altitude.

In my case I was trying to quantify the degradation on rate of climb caused by bringing the gear up. Given that my worst case is at high density altitudes I made my experiment at 11,000 ft. Being an occasional dumb ass, I left the POH on the ground and just remembered the 1800-1900 ft number as stated in my earlier post.

On the front engine I was surprised to see no rate of climb at all with the rear at 1800 RPM. However, encouraging to me was that it did not worsen while retracting the gear--but please note that I have the gear door removal mod.

Back on the ground I discovered that the true zero thrust point on the rear engine at 11,000 feet was 2,300 rpm--not 1800! But the point of my test was proven and I do not worry about gear retraction on rate of climb. For me, with the gear door removal mod, I now retract the gear anytime I have no usable runway left.

Dave Dillehay
N84E

PS. To me, a former Seneca III driver who always worried about engine out issues, the gear door removal mod is the most important one a 337 can have. Not only is a engine out on take off not a adverse yaw and stall spin fatality problem, but you don't really have to land in the weeds!