Thread: Gear Door Mod
View Single Post
Unread 03-20-09, 06:22 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I have both Mods on my C model (in fact I think I am becoming the king of Mods) and I love them. I have flown with the Stol and without and I would not have a Skymaster without the Stol Kit. Makes a much better aircraft out of it. If Cessna would have more passion with the Skymaster they would have seen the light and changed the aircraft based on these mods that are out there today. Look at most of the later model Cessna's and most all of the high wing series have a slight cuff to the leading edge. It's obvious that this is a know enhancement for most all aircraft. It does not effect the cruise speed but it sure is nice for slow flight and landing / take-off. I installed a Horton on a 172 many years ago. This particular plane was the training bed for my private license. I flew it somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 hours before the stol kit and then another 100 or so with the stol kit. WOW, what a difference. Night and day! It made that 172 handle so much better.

The gear door removal is no different than all the new model RG's that Cessna is and was producing. The 172, 182, 210 have no gear doors. Enough said.................

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years