View Single Post
Unread 05-02-08, 09:22 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Dave is correct, in that if the case is opened, the crank must be a VAR crank before it is closed back up. Two years ago, I replaced one of my engines with a factory Reman. At the same time, I got a heavy case engine. As I recall, at that time, VAR crank was $4,500. When added to the cost of overhaul and repair, it was marginally more expensive to get a factory reman engine.

With the factory reman, you get a warranty. I had to use the warranty, because the seal on the accessory case shaft that drives the hydraulic pump, was faulty. They paid for the complete removal of the engine, the case, provided new parts. I'm not certain about overhaul shops, if they would pay for the same kind of things.

There is the additional advantage of a reman for resale, however with today's prices, I doubt it really affects pricing.

Your engine, at 1450 hours, does not require a rebuild. Jerry has one that is 800 hours past TBO, and still running strong. If there is a problem with the engine, I would suggest getting a firm quote on rebuild, and a price on reman.